Happy International Women’s Day! To celebrate this important day, World Vision offers seven easy ways to make a big difference in the lives of our daughters, sisters, and mothers, both at home and around the world.
- Tell the women in your life that you care. Empowering women starts right in our families, workplaces, and neighborhoods. Write a note of thanks, pick up an extra cup of coffee, tell your own sister, daughter, or mother how much you appreciate them.
- Provide the ticket to education: clean water. Instead of attending class, millions of girls around the world are forced to spend hours each day fetching water for their families. Providing clean water opens the door to education for a young girl.
- Support girls and women in crisis. Millions of girls are subjected to abuse, child labor, sex trafficking, child marriage and other offenses. Training, counseling, medical care, small business loans, and other programs help end cycles of gender-based violence.
- Mentor a girl close to home. Growing poverty rates, poor-performing schools, and teen violence make it tough to be a girl growing up in the United States. Reach out and influence the life of a young girl in your community by volunteering as a tutor or mentor.
- Invest in a small business owner. Through micro-finance, you can connect with hardworking female entrepreneurs to realize their dream of building or expanding a successful business.
- Help a new mom. The first weeks of a newborn’s life are the most critical. Help save lives by giving a new mother the essentials they need. Know a new mom near you who might be feeling overwhelmed? Help connect them to others in their neighborhood who can be a support network.
- Use your voice to end preventable deaths of mothers and children. Nearly 2.7 millions newborns and 300,000 mothers die each year due to complications during pregnancy and childbirth. Tell Congress to support legislation that will help implement a more efficient, sustainable approach for saving lives.